Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chapter 2~All Goods Things Come To An End 
“Hey Aleppo. What brings you into the garden?”
“You, I guess.” He said shyly, smiling.
Aleppo and I were growing closer, and I think we both were possibly developing feelings for each other. 
As day bore into night, we left the comfort of the bench. Standing in the garden, Aleppo grabbed my hands and held them for a while. I looked in his eyes, and he looked into mine. I think he felt the same indescribable feeling I had felt as I looked in his. 
 As we were gazing at each other’s eyes, Aleppo’s mom, Golde, was getting into the pool for a late night swim. 
 
 
Aleppo and I embraced each other, but something caught my eye before I could get too comfy in his warm embrace. 
 
“Aleppo! Your mom, I think she is drowning!” I screeched.
“Mooooommm!” He screamed as he ran over.
I felt a tear hit my cheek, just as Golde started to tire.
When Aleppo dove into the pool, I held my breath. She can’t die. Not if I was to run away. Who would be with Aleppo? 
Aleppo dragged her out of the pool and tried to do CPR. I tried to call 911, but there was no service. But it was too late. And just like that, Golde was gone. Aleppo watched as she faded away. I couldn’t bear to see him so stricken with grief. Aleppo was heartbroken. My mother and sister were only crying for his mother because they had no one to cook for them or do their laundry for them. 
I started to play my guitar that Aleppo gave me for my birthday last year. I tried to cheer him up, he asked if he could take a go at the guitar. I handed it over. 
He must have been very upset to be able to be so angry while being in the presence of music. I was afraid he’d break it, so I politely asked for it back.
Now came the difficult part, he realized that she really was gone and that he would never see her again. I let him cry on my shoulder. He needed all the love and support he could get.
“There, there. Aleppo, it’s going to be okay.” I told that she was in a better place than being the maid and chef that was filled with horrible people like my mother, father, and sister. 
“I just can’t believe she is gone. Her life was so short.Why must all good things come to an end?” He sobbed.
That was true, she was only fifty and could’ve lived for twice that age. 

“Young man, now that your mom is dead, you can no longer stay here. You will be kicked out when you turn eighteen, in the mean while you can take your mother’s job.” My father spat at him. Aleppo’s mother just died, and now they’re kicking him out? That was just low. Even for my family.
“I can’t believe how so many bad things can happen in just a few months. First you have an arranged marriage, my mom died, now I have nowhere to live.” He was visibly shaken from the whole experience.
I took his hands and swung them around a bit. It made him smile a bit. But the grief was too strong for him to keep smiling.
“I have some more bad news, my mother informed me earlier that the wedding is actually going to be in a week, which means I have to leave the day after tomorrow.” I explained.
“Then we need to spend the rest of today and all of tomorrow together.” He smiled. 
“Starting with this…” He said softly. 
He kissed me right there in the garden. I must say that was amazing!
It was my first kiss ever! I was glad it was with him.
Before this beautiful night ended we cuddled on the bench in the garden. Tomorrow was going to be the best day of my life, I just knew it. 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Aleppo's mother died. That was so sad!

    I could tell that they felt more than friendship for each other. I have the feeling that this won't be the end for them.

    I am really enjoying your story!

    ReplyDelete